A person’s handwriting is distinct and individual to that person. Lynn University’s typography should immediately be recognized as ours and convey that we are clear, direct and modern.
We can only achieve this image through consistent typography. Controlled use of our typography highlights our message and signals that we can focus on what is important for our audience.
Lynn University’s logo typeface is Adobe Garamond. This typeface is reserved only for the logos and is never to be used in copy or anywhere else.
Helvetica Neue Light
Lynn University’s copy typeface is Helvetica Neue. The following pages in this section detail which weights are permitted, how typography is used and what not to do.
The only permitted weights of Helvetica Neue are light, bold and light italic. They have been installed on campus PCs by I.T.
Typesetting guidelines for designers
The font we use overall is Helvetica Neue Light. Do not use Ultra Light or Thin (the stroke is too thin and difficult to read with varying color and point sizes). When printing PMS we always use Cool Gray 9 for copy.
Headlines: Helvetica Neue Light, PMS Cool Gray 9. Sentence case. No punctuation. Headline size will vary depending on the space provided, but no less than 20 pt. type. For 2+ liners, leading is too open and will need to be hand-adjusted (auto leading displays too much space for large point sizes).
Subheads: Helvetica Neue Light, 70% PMS Cool Gray 9, or PMS 293, 14/0. Sentence case.
Body copy: Helvetica Neue Light, PMS Cool Gray 9, 9/12. When there is room, use two returns between sections for more air. When more room is needed, start by decreasing paragraph/section spaces, then the leading. Tightening leading should be avoided whenever possible.
Section head: Helvetica Neue Light, PMS 293, 11/0. Section heads are sentence case.
Subheads within body copy: Helvetica Neue Bold, PMS Cool Gray 9, 9/12 with a 3 pt. return before the body copy. Subheads are sentence case.
Bullets: Always use round bullets. PMS Cool Gray 9. Same point size, font and color as copy, with a 3 pt. return between.
- All copy is always ranged left.
- Always pay close attention to type rags and hand adjust. There should be no hyphens at the ends of lines (only if no other option). No holes at the ends of lines. No widows. Tracking should not be more than -3, but avoid tracking whenever possible.
- First level tabs should be set at .15.
- Below is how we set the phone and URL. All phone numbers include dashes, not periods.
561-237-7900 | 1-800-888-5966 lynn.edu
- Always use 1 space between sentences. Use 1 space between a state and a zip code in an address.
- Typeset small disclaimer type, copyrights, etc., in 5 pt. Helvetica Condensed Light.
©2013 Lynn University #CIC-D-CEM 11/13